Permits & Registration

Register Your Production

While registering your production is not mandatory, we do encourage you to fill out the form prior to your arrival in Nunavut. Not only does it give us a heads up on your arrival, but it allows us to capture the much coveted ‘economic impact’ of your production.  

Download registration form

Filmmakers' Code of Professional Responsibility

Nunavut Film Development Corporation strongly advises you to adhere to the Filmmakers' Code of Professional Responsibility. Please use this document if you are filming in one of our communities.

As in every film jurisdiction, professionalism is greatly appreciated

Download Code of Conduct



Nunavut can be an easy place for film producers to work. However, we do ask for you to respect the land and its people. While Nunavut does not require film location permits, we have listed information on the groups and organizations you may need to contact. We are more then happy to assist producers and location managers in their research, and can provide assistance with permitting requirements in Nunavut.

Wildlife Permits- Wildlife Research and Observation

A licence is required for any organized activity in which wildlife is the object of interaction, manipulation or close observation, including the making of a film or the provision of an expedition, safari or cruise.

Please contact the Nunavut Department of Wildlife for more information:

Department of WIldlife
PO BOx 1000, Stn. 1300
Iqaluit, Nunavut X0A 0H0
Phone: (867) 975-7700
Fax: (867) 975-7742


Territorial Parks
Registration is required for territorial parks in Nunavut through Nunavut Parks and Special Places. Nunavut's territorial parks and historic sites include:

  • Coppermine Heritage River
  • Fossil Creek Trail
  • Inuujaarvik Territorial Park
  • Iqalugaarjuup Nunanga Territorial Park
  • Katannilik Territorial Park
  • Kazan Heritage River
  • Kekerten Territorial Park
  • Kugluk/Bloody Falls Territorial Park
  • Mallikjuaq Territorial Park
  • Northwest Passage Trail
  • Ovayok Territorial Park
  • Pisuktinu Tunngavik Territorial Park
  • Qaummaarviit Territorial Park
  • Soper Heritage River
  • Sylvia Grinnell Territorial Park
  • Tamaarvik Territorial Park
  • Taqaiqsirvik Territorial Park
  • Thelon Heritage River
  • Thelon Wildlife Sanctuary
  • Tupirvik Territorial Park


Nunavut Parks and Special Places
Department of Environment
PO Box 1000, Station 1340
Iqaluit, NU X0A 0H0
Tel. (867) 975-7700
Fax (867) 975-7747

National Parks
Permits are required for national parks in Nunavut through Parks Canada. Nunavut's national parks are:

  • Auyuittuq National Park
  • Sirmilik National Park
  • Quttinirpaaq National Park
  • Ukkusiksalik National Park

Parks Canada
PO Box 278
Iqaluit, NU X0A 0H0
Tel. (867) 975-4673
Fax (867) 975-4674

Canadian work permits
In general, each person (who is not a Canadian citizen and/or Permanent Resident of Canada) who enters Canada intending to work, requires a confirmation for the job in order to apply for a Work Permit which can be applied for at a Canadian Consulate, Embassy, or High Commission, or, in the case of U.S. residents, in Canada at a Port of Entry (POE).

There are some exceptions:

  • Producers acting on their own behalf or representing a company coming into Canada to film are exempt from requiring a Work Permit. These individuals are required to report to a Canadian Immigration Officer when first entering Canada at a Port of Entry.
  • Some pre-production staff are allowed to enter without a Confirmation for the Job, temporarily, for scouting a location. If these individuals return to Canada to begin production, they require a Confirmation for the Job and a Work Permit.

Work permit approval involves consultation between Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC), the film production company, and the relevant Unions, Guilds, and/or Associations to ensure the issuance of a Work Permit will not adversely affect employment and career opportunities for Canadian citizens and/or permanent residents. A Confirmation for the Job is given by HRDC and this information is forwarded to Citizenship and Immigration who issue the Work Permit.

For Nunavut please contact:
Human Resources and Skills Development Canada
Employer Services, Regional Shared Services
Nunavut Regional Office, Canada Place
9700 Jasper Avenue, Suite 1440
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4C1
Edmonton fax (780) 495-2394
All other areas fax 1-800-829-6891


Workers' Safety & Compensation Commission
The Workers’ Safety & Compensation Commission (WSCC) is responsible for workplace safety and health, regulations, enforcement, education and provides rehabilitation, health care and wage benefits for workers injured as a result of their employment. Employers registered are protected from lawsuits and fund the cost of the system. Contact the WSCC office directly for details on employee/employer registration, responsibilities and regulations.

PO Box 669
Iqaluit, NU X0A 0H0
Tel. (867) 979-8500
Toll-free 1-877-404-4407
Fax (867) 979-8501

Rankin Inlet
PO Box 368
Rankin Inlet, NU X0C 0G0
Tel. (867) 645-5600
Toll-free 1-877-404-8878
Fax (867) 645-5601